follow us on twitter . like us on facebook . follow us on instagram . subscribe to our youtube channel . announcements on telegram channel . ask urgent question ONLY . Subscribe to our reddit . Altcoins Talks Shop Shop

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here Ads bidding Bidding Open

Author Topic: A user lost $68 million in BTC, falling victim to a "dust attack".  (Read 443 times)

Online bayu7adi

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1228
  • Bitcoin Mixer| Since 2019
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
  • Last Active: Today at 07:40:16 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 16
    Badges: (View All)
    Karma Bad 1000 Posts Poll Voter
P.S. Have any of you been in similar situations? If yes, please share your story. It will be helpful for others.
Me? No. The BTC wallet that I have to date has never received a shipment of suspicious dust tokens like that. Moreover, even though I never felt like I had been attacked like that, every time I wanted to send BTC to another address, I always checked the address that I copied and pasted. At least the last 10 digits and the first 10 digits are very helpful for us to ensure that BTC is sent to the correct address. I still try to ensure that transactions run smoothly without any problems, therefore, as much as possible, every address that I paste, I always check twice or three times.

Altcoins Talks - Cryptocurrency Forum

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here Ads bidding Bidding Open

Offline LogitechMouse

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1714
  • Coinomize.biz | Bitcoin Mixer | Since 2019
  • Last Active: Today at 02:01:02 PM
    • View Profile

Topic Starter 10 Poll Votes Linux User
~
P.S. Have any of you been in similar situations? If yes, please share your story. It will be helpful for others.
Correct me, but isn't this the infamous one that happened months ago?
I can't remember it my apologies.

Anyway, like I always say, learning really is very costly. Here, it costs the investor $68 Million to learn something. :D Learning is expensive - very expensive that's why for those who saw this attack, learn how to secure your wallet, and double or even triple check the address that you are sending with. If possible, look by letter/number and don't just look at the first 5 and the final 5 symbols of the address.

I hope this will be the first, and last time that this happens (I doubt it will :D).

Offline bitterguy28

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1242
  • Coinomize.biz | Bitcoin Mixer| Since 2019
  • Last Active: Today at 02:12:05 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 17
    1000 Posts 10 Poll Votes 500 Posts
This is a weird story, and I think there's a lot of fake stuff in it.

First the sum, like rally $70 million and you don't even check the address?
Then, the only case that is actually solved and we have a nearly unknown company bragging about how they managed to get the money back:
https://www.cryptonews.net/news/security/29013603/
So the attacker was contacting the victim demanding 10% of the funds but at the same time it was moving the between exchanges...common!

It's just like a drone to monitor the transactions of the users so that they can easily victimized the user if they found a hole. I don't know what exactly their way to steal people's money since it's 100% secured one you owned the private key, but until your device is infected. If you know that you are being tracked, the best way to do is to use mixers.

There is no hack, no infection, no vulnerability, the attacker simply sends dust (small amount of coins) to different addresses that usually have interactions with other large addresses using himself an address that resembles the other ones.

So if you're use to move coins from your address to you excnge address for example  bc1q2ps0clygv8d5stq******* and you're to lazy to check and you copy paste from the history the attacker address bc1q2ps0clytv1d6sgy******* because it seems familiar you're done for.
and sometimes the wallet address is almost completely similar to that said address this is why the victims are being lured?
this is why I kept checking my wallet address several times before going into the sending , not just the starting numbers but every single degits/letters for sure transacting .

Offline hugeblack

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1751
  • Your Privacy Matters
  • Referrals: 5
  • Last Active: Today at 07:55:41 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 14
    Quick Poster Karma Bad Karma Good
Me? No. The BTC wallet that I have to date has never received a shipment of suspicious dust tokens like that.

Dust transactions are valid transactions but less frequently occur in Bitcoin wallets due to fee costs and the primary purpose of their use is to reduce wallet privacy.it can be easily avoided by using features such as coincontrol and wallet freeze.
These attacks are more common in the Ethereum blockchain and smart contracts in general due to the possibility of a zero-value token transfer attack[1], because you see a transaction from your wallet that you did not perform.

[1] https://www.elliptic.co/blog/analysis/the-latest-scam-zero-value-transactions-fooling-victims-into-sending-their-crypto-to-fraudulent-addresses
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████
░░░██████░░░░░░░░█████████████
░░░░░░█████████░░█████████████
░░░░░░█████████
░░░░░░█████████
░░░░░░█████████░░░░█████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀███▀▀░░▀▀▀█████████
███████▀░░█▀░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████░░░██░░▄█▀▀░░░░░▀▀██████
█████░░░░█░░███████▄▄▄░░░▀████
███░██░░░█▄████████▄░▀█▄░░░███
███░░██░░░███████████░░▀█▄░███
████░░▀██▄▄████████░██░░░█▄███
█████░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀██░░██░░░█████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀░░░▄█░░░██████
████████▀▀▀▀░░░░░░██░░▄███████
██████████▄▄▄▄▄████▄██████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
MIXERO.IO
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
███████▀▀██░▀█████████████████
████████░░█░█▀▀░██████████████
████████░░▀░░░▄███████████████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░▀██████░▀█████
████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░██▀▀█▄░░████
████░░░░░░░░░░░▄████▄░▀██░░███
████░░░░░░░░░▄██▀░▄██░░██░░███
█████░░░░░░▄██▀████▀░░██░░████
███████▄▄▄████▄░░░░▄██▀░░█████
███████████░░▀▀▀██▀▀▀░░▄██████
██████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
MIX.NOW
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█████████████
█████████████
░░░░░░░░░██████
█████████████░░░░██░░░██████
█████████████░░░░░░░░░██████
█████████████
█████████████░░█████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
░░█████████░░░░█████████
░░█████████
░░█████████░░░██░░░░░░░░░░████
░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████

Online NikeFit_7777

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1348
  • Mixero: Privacy by XMR
  • Last Active: Today at 08:50:51 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 20
    Quick Poster 1000 Posts Karma Bad
Correct me, but isn't this the infamous one that happened months ago?
I can't remember it my apologies.

Anyway, like I always say, learning really is very costly. Here, it costs the investor $68 Million to learn something. :D Learning is expensive - very expensive that's why for those who saw this attack, learn how to secure your wallet, and double or even triple check the address that you are sending with. If possible, look by letter/number and don't just look at the first 5 and the final 5 symbols of the address.

I hope this will be the first, and last time that this happens (I doubt it will :D).
A few months ago, I lost a couple of tens of dollars (it was phishing), not very pleasant - but quite a great experience I'll tell you.

P.S. Minimal advice on this matter, double-check what you download/where you go and in general, what you do. One sloppy move and your money = not your money (but the scammers').  I know a lot of things for safety - alas nothing is immune from it.  ;D
░░░░░░█████████░░█████████████
░░░░░░█████████
░░░░░░█████████
░░░░░░█████████░░░░█████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
█████████▀▀███▀▀░░▀▀▀█████████
███████▀░░█▀░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████░░░██░░▄█▀▀░░░░░▀▀██████
█████░░░░█░░███████▄▄▄░░░▀████
███░██░░░█▄████████▄░▀█▄░░░███
███░░██░░░███████████░░▀█▄░███
████░░▀██▄▄████████░██░░░█▄███
█████░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀██░░██░░░█████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀░░░▄█░░░██████
████████▀▀▀▀░░░░░░██░░▄███████
██████████▄▄▄▄▄████▄██████████
MIXERO.IO
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
███████▀▀██░▀█████████████████
████████░░█░█▀▀░██████████████
████████░░▀░░░▄███████████████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░▀██████░▀█████
████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░██▀▀█▄░░████
████░░░░░░░░░░░▄████▄░▀██░░███
████░░░░░░░░░▄██▀░▄██░░██░░███
█████░░░░░░▄██▀████▀░░██░░████
███████▄▄▄████▄░░░░▄██▀░░█████
███████████░░▀▀▀██▀▀▀░░▄██████
██████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
MIX.NOW
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█████████████
█████████████
░░░░░░░░░██████
█████████████░░░░██░░░██████
█████████████░░░░░░░░░██████
█████████████
█████████████░░█████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
░░█████████░░░░█████████
░░█████████
░░█████████░░░██░░░░░░░░░░████
░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████

Online milewilda

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1601
  • Last Active: Today at 08:38:00 PM
    • View Profile

Poll Voter Topic Starter Search
I do have several metamask wallets which does have tons of unknown shit coins that been sent out into my address which on the moment that you would really be trying out to see their
value whenever you are making some log in with some dex, you would be able to see that its really that a good value or involved hundreds of thousands.If you are a newbie
then you would definitely be trying to make some transaction. I dont know on how dusting attack works on how attackers would be able to get someones funds on sending out these coins.
You wont really be that putting yourself on such trouble if you are really just that sensible about on how security owrs or on how it would be done.

Online Stompix

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1769
  • Last Active: Today at 08:22:42 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 15
    Karma Bad Poll Voter Topic Starter
~
and sometimes the wallet address is almost completely similar to that said address this is why the victims are being lured?

Not sometimes but always, if they would send from  completely different addresses it would be harder to trick the victim
These were the addresses in question, the attacker and the real one:
0xd9A1b0B1e1aE382DbDc898Ea68012FfcB2853a91
0xd9A1C3788D81257612E2581A6ea0aDa244853a91

Normally users only check the 3-4 first and last, you're far safer checking the middle as it would take way too much processing power to generate an address that would also match another group of characters there since they don't know where the users would look, would they look at the 6-10 or 12-16 characters.

Altcoins Talks - Cryptocurrency Forum

Offline jeraldskie11

• Activity: 816
  • Coinomize.biz
  • Last Active: Today at 06:13:19 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 14
    500 Posts Topic Starter Poll Voter
~

Not sometimes but always, if they would send from  completely different addresses it would be harder to trick the victim
These were the addresses in question, the attacker and the real one:
0xd9A1b0B1e1aE382DbDc898Ea68012FfcB2853a91
0xd9A1C3788D81257612E2581A6ea0aDa244853a91

Normally users only check the 3-4 first and last, you're far safer checking the middle as it would take way too much processing power to generate an address that would also match another group of characters there since they don't know where the users would look, would they look at the 6-10 or 12-16 characters.
How about those addresses in the exchange. Is it vulnerable to the dust attack? Because as far as I know, you can only see one address in an exchange for a specific when you are going to deposit. If so, dust attack is useless when you're transferring your assets to exchange. However, we must always double check the address everytime we transfer assets to different wallet address.

Online JISAN

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1318
  • Referrals: 1
  • Last Active: Today at 09:27:38 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 23
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
WBTC is not orginal btc so such large amount of Bitcoin should not be transacted or holed through any chain other than Main Bitcoin as it is very risky. that is why he was attacked. the incident is really sad because it is a huge amount of bitcoins.  Currently we dream of owning 1 bitcoin but meanwhile he lost 1155 bitcoins amounting to $68 million. there are a lot of hackers online and they have become smarter as the technology updates so we should be more careful

Online Stompix

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1769
  • Last Active: Today at 08:22:42 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 15
    Karma Bad Poll Voter Topic Starter
~
How about those addresses in the exchange. Is it vulnerable to the dust attack? Because as far as I know, you can only see one address in an exchange for a specific when you are going to deposit. If so, dust attack is useless when you're transferring your assets to exchange. However, we must always double check the address everytime we transfer assets to different wallet address.

I doubt it, mainly because the deposit addresses you use are always emptied by the exchanges and moved to their cold storage, so when bombarding addresses with dust your deposit address might look empty, not a target for the attacker.
Also, if you look in the history of your tx on that exchange you would normally look for where you have sent previous coins, right? So the attacker has no way of faking that! The deposit part might be susceptible to dush a thing but again, it's a long shot, I doubt it happens that often.

This doesn't mean that your exchange address can't be a target since it can be picked at random but the success rate of the attack should be minimal.

WBTC is not orginal btc so such large amount of Bitcoin should not be transacted or holed through any chain other than Main Bitcoin as it is very risky. that is why he was attacked.

No, it's not!

ETH & ERC20 Tokens Donations: 0x2143F7146F0AadC0F9d85ea98F23273Da0e002Ab
BNB & BEP20 Tokens Donations: 0xcbDAB774B5659cB905d4db5487F9e2057b96147F
BTC Donations: bc1qjf99wr3dz9jn9fr43q28x0r50zeyxewcq8swng
BTC Tips for Moderators: 1Pz1S3d4Aiq7QE4m3MmuoUPEvKaAYbZRoG