follow us on twitter . like us on facebook . follow us on instagram . subscribe to our youtube channel . announcements on telegram channel . ask urgent question ONLY . Subscribe to our reddit . Altcoins Talks Shop Shop

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here

Author Topic: Forbidden usernames and display names  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Zed0X

• Legendary
  • Activity: 3404
  • Coinomize.biz
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 34
  • Last Active: April 19, 2024, 05:17:51 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 27
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
Forbidden usernames and display names
« on: December 28, 2020, 12:10:15 PM »
Do we have a set of names that are banned from being used by any member? If none, can we have a policy on that? I'm raising this issue because I noticed this member's name is misleading. If you observed his posts, he doesn't look like a dev/developer (that's clear to me at least). Having that name kinda claims he's a contributor to the ethereum blockchain. He's free to use "ethereum fan" or something that is similar to that.

Altcoins Talks - Cryptocurrency Forum

Forbidden usernames and display names
« on: December 28, 2020, 12:10:15 PM »

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here

Offline Master107

• Legendary
  • Activity: 3732
  • Referrals: 3
  • Last Active: January 21, 2024, 01:34:58 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 26
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts
Re: Forbidden usernames and display names
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 03:56:49 PM »
Maybe he loves Ethereum so much and dreamed to become a dev for once.  :P ;D

Actually, I'm also surprised before that he has a better name than I.  :D ;D But when I saw he's postings, it looks he is not an Ethereum Dev rather a fan of Ethereum I guess.

Forbidden name is good to avoid misleading the community. For example: if there is someone who registered with Satoshi Nakamoto's username but just a fake one. It could mislead the simple minded members. Anyway, I wish the real one will enter the forum.

I guess it is not the major case need to resolve. If I'm not mistaken, username can be change. Therefore, the admin can DM them to change the username just to respect the real person's identity.

If the admin accept this suggestion, another work need to be done.

Offline dragononcrypto

• * 2nd President *
  • Legendary
  • Activity: 3359
  • Referrals: 24
  • Last Active: October 10, 2023, 04:33:12 AM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 33
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 12:41:51 AM »
I PM'd this user a while ago for the reasons you mentioned. The irony being we have an Ethereum devs membership group for solidity devs =>

The user never replied to me though, ideally they wouldn't have the username they do, but this is what they have. If we had more eth devs with the memerbship to prove it, this user would look more out of place. If I had my way, this user would be part of "Needs Verification" membership group.

Alas, for the benefit for the forum in general, I don't always get my own way  :D

Offline Malam90

• Mythical
  • Activity: 5871
  • Referrals: 8
  • Last Active: March 13, 2023, 02:19:03 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 01:59:17 AM »
This type of username or display name is really confusing. We all love ethereum but Ethereum Dev can be only from Ethereum's team members. We can't use it because it creates confusion. My suggestion is to change this user's display name to avoid confusion and misleading.

Offline Zed0X

• Legendary
  • Activity: 3404
  • Coinomize.biz
  • Referrals: 34
  • Last Active: April 19, 2024, 05:17:51 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 27
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 09:56:59 AM »
I PM'd this user a while ago for the reasons you mentioned. The irony being we have an Ethereum devs membership group for solidity devs =>

The user never replied to me though, ideally they wouldn't have the username they do, but this is what they have. If we had more eth devs with the memerbship to prove it, this user would look more out of place. If I had my way, this user would be part of "Needs Verification" membership group.

Alas, for the benefit for the forum in general, I don't always get my own way  :D
Any reply from the user yet? I'm sure he's already seen your message as he was online recently. I can still see the same name though which implies he has no plans to change anything. I'm wondering if admin/president can "force" members who refuse to at least change their display name. I mean ordinary members' posts can be edited easily and the same could be applied to names.

That's what I would do, if I had my way, after sending a notification and stating the basis for changing his display name.

ETH & ERC20 Tokens Donations: 0x2143F7146F0AadC0F9d85ea98F23273Da0e002Ab
BNB & BEP20 Tokens Donations: 0xcbDAB774B5659cB905d4db5487F9e2057b96147F
BTC Donations: bc1qjf99wr3dz9jn9fr43q28x0r50zeyxewcq8swng
BTC Tips for Moderators: 1Pz1S3d4Aiq7QE4m3MmuoUPEvKaAYbZRoG