follow us on twitter . like us on facebook . follow us on instagram . subscribe to our youtube channel . announcements on telegram channel . ask urgent question ONLY . Subscribe to our reddit . Altcoins Talks Shop Shop

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here Ads bidding Bidding Open

Author Topic: Calculating Taxes  (Read 1977 times)

Offline bkelly

• Baby Steps
  • Activity: 14
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
  • Last Active: April 29, 2021, 04:48:14 AM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 7
    Badges: (View All)
    10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary
Calculating Taxes
« on: March 21, 2021, 06:39:01 PM »
I have done a small amount of trading, keeping reports of all the transaction.  However, each exchange shows different values in their records.  I am not at all confident in my ability to sort out what is needed for taxes.
What do you use and recommend for this task?

Edit: Per the first reply, I should have stated my residence is the United States.
Regarding contacting the exchanges, and so far, all of them are very difficult to contact and take much time to respond.  For example, I have an account on Gemini and added some accounts to transfer coins from Gemini to another exchange.  They require 7 days to authorize a transfer address.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 07:44:21 PM by bkelly »

Altcoins Talks - Cryptocurrency Forum

Calculating Taxes
« on: March 21, 2021, 06:39:01 PM »

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here Ads bidding Bidding Open

Offline Ferki

• Legendary
  • Activity: 3502
  • Observer only
  • Referrals: 1
  • Last Active: March 01, 2024, 03:32:42 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 29
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts
Re: Calculating Taxes
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 06:53:12 PM »
I have done a small amount of trading, keeping reports of all the transaction.  However, each exchange shows different values in their records.  I am not at all confident in my ability to sort out what is needed for taxes.
What do you use and recommend for this task?

Hmm, you can always call up where you made the trades in your exchange, can't you? If not it is not a serious exchange.

Furthermore, every country has its own tax rate

« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 06:58:13 PM by Ferki »

Offline bkelly

• Baby Steps
  • Activity: 14
  • Last Active: April 29, 2021, 04:48:14 AM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 7
    10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 07:50:22 PM »
re: Hmm, you can always call up where you made the trades in your exchange, can't you?

The exchanges I use, Coinbase, Gemini, Kraken, provide the numbers.  But each one has its own format.  Some do not provide the fiat price at the time of exchange and that must be calculated.

There are two basic problems.  First: getting the numbers into a spread sheet such that the format is the same for all exchanges.  This is expected to require significant effort.  Second: organizing and calculating the profit/losses such that my numbers will agree with the IRS numbers.  I think I can do that, but, have no confidence that the IRS will be happy with my results.

At least one site notes that crypto is treated like stocks and real estate.  But it does not state exactly the same.  I am looking for Excel or other utilities to do this.

Edit:
Key Point: How should transfers between exchanges be treated?

First: Gemini and Coinbase trade reports are different.  The thought is to keep track of Gemini trades in a sheet just for Gemini, and Coinbase in another sheet.  And to go further, each coin should have a separate sheet.

Second: Coinbase does not trade in Dogecoin, Kraken does.  But I was not able get Kraken configured to accept a bank transfer in US Dollars.  So I buy Ethereum using bank funds on Coinbase, then transfer Ethereum to Kraken.  On Kraken, sell Ethereum and buy Dogecoin.

But: I really don’t want the complexity of the Kraken worksheet depending upon the Coinbase worksheet and the reverse.  So what is the best way to handle those transactions?

I am Googling and looking for rules, hints, and maybe spread sheets or utilities to buy.
Or maybe create some Excel VBA to do the imports and formats.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 08:33:27 PM by bkelly »

Offline Evgenklm

• Legendary
  • Activity: 2055
  • Binance #SWGT and CERTIK Audited
  • Last Active: April 08, 2024, 09:02:22 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 24
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 04:25:10 PM »
You are definitely a law-abiding citizen, because not everyone bothers about taxes in cryptocurrency, I would look for information on the official page of the US tax department, because only there you can find what you are looking for.
SWG.IO.
Smart World
Global Token
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄██▄
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄██████▄
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄██████████▄
▒▒▒▒▒▄█████▀▒▒▀█████▄
▒▒▒▒▒▀██▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▀█▀▒▒▒
▄███▄▒▒▒▒▒▄████▄▒▒▒▒▒▄███▄
▀██▀▒▒▒▒▒▀████▀▒▒▒▒▒▀██▀
▒▒▒▒▒▒▄██▄▒▒▀▀▒▒▄██▄
▒▒▒▒▒▀█████▄▒▒▄█████▀
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀██████████▀
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀██████▀
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀██▀
BINANCE
#SWGT
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
.BUY NOW.
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
███  ICOHOLDER  ███
✅ TOP-3 PRE-SALE
✅ 4.45 RATING

Offline Triplewine

• 1st Step
  • Activity: 2
  • Last Active: September 01, 2022, 02:16:51 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 2
    One year Anniversary First Post
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 01:50:38 PM »
"For a better understanding of the U.S. tax system, it is necessary to understand the main legal forms of legal entities used to register companies in the USA - LLCs, and corporations.

Offline scepsis

• Baby Steps
  • Activity: 18
  • Last Active: December 23, 2022, 10:18:46 AM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 4
    One year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 09:56:21 AM »
One way is to use a tax calculator, which you can find online or through your financial institution. Another way is to use the tax tables that are provided by the government. And finally, you can also speak to a tax professional to get help with calculating your taxes.

Offline Osama Sultan

• Activity: 205
  • Last Active: May 10, 2023, 07:01:44 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 15
    Third year Anniversary Poll Voter 100 Posts
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 02:06:58 AM »
i think you need to use binance us or select only one crypto exchange believe me all top crypto currencies follow bitcoin so if bitcoin dips buy selected top Alt coin and keep them , Dont take the stress of tax and three different exchanges taxation is a daily job .

Altcoins Talks - Cryptocurrency Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 02:06:58 AM »

ETH & ERC20 Tokens Donations: 0x2143F7146F0AadC0F9d85ea98F23273Da0e002Ab
BNB & BEP20 Tokens Donations: 0xcbDAB774B5659cB905d4db5487F9e2057b96147F
BTC Donations: bc1qjf99wr3dz9jn9fr43q28x0r50zeyxewcq8swng
BTC Tips for Moderators: 1Pz1S3d4Aiq7QE4m3MmuoUPEvKaAYbZRoG