follow us on twitter . like us on facebook . follow us on instagram . subscribe to our youtube channel . announcements on telegram channel . ask urgent question ONLY . Subscribe to our reddit . Altcoins Talks Shop Shop

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here Ads bidding Bidding Open

Author Topic: Why Is Cardano Full Of Weird Names?  (Read 4422 times)

Offline Pegasus

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1502
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
  • Last Active: May 23, 2023, 06:19:09 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 21
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts
Why Is Cardano Full Of Weird Names?
« on: April 02, 2019, 07:00:13 AM »

Charles Hoskinson is on a charm offensive. In the run-up to this months’ summit in Miami, the IOHK founder is crisscrossing the world, from Africa to Athens and America. When I met him last week, he seemed to have spent more time in the air than he had on the ground.

Although he was was eager to tell me about Cardano’s big milestones, and IOHK’s big blockchain projects in Ethiopia, I cut to the chase to ask the real question on everyone’s mind:

Why does everything in Cardano have such a weird name?

I’m not the only one asking this question, which has also been discussed on Reddit, Twitter, Steemit and throughout the crypto-verse. Hackernoon devoted an entire article to the various figures in the blockchain pantheon.

Cardano isn’t alone in this regard: VeThor sounds like something out of the Marvel Universe, and some tokens seem to have gotten their names from a scrabble-bag. There’s a popular quiz circulating on social media to see if you can tell the difference between a Pokemon and a virtual currency.

But Cardano stands out for its cumbersome and obscure names, and in the world of cryptocurrency, that’s saying a lot. Not to mention the difficulty it creates, for anyone trying to research the complexities of Orobo…. Ouroubor….. of the Cardano consensus mechanism.

I’m not saying the Cardano team is nerdy, but they seem to make decisions using a twenty-sided die.

“We’re now trapped.”

Asked about the origins of the project’s nomenclature, Hoskinson responds as if he has heard these questions before.

“If I hired a branding or marketing agency, they’d tell me ‘Oh God, what are you doing?’ Hoskinson chuckled. “They have those lists like memorability, pronunciation, ease to spell….every one of those categories we tend to fail.”

Part of the trend started accidentally. “This is what happens when you have a chief scientist who’s Greek,” Hoskinson explained. “Aggelos Kiayias is from Athens, and he named Ouroboros. So for a wallet, we said let’s give it a Greek name—we used Daedalus, he’s the creator of the Labyrinth.”

After that, one Greek name led to another. “We’re now trapped in that naming group,” Hoskinson said.

While the milestones are largely Greek, #DevelopmentTeam s are named after famous mathematicians— Hoskinson rattles off a long list of mathematical luminaries, like a teenager reciting the latest pop stars. Other milestones come from his favorite poets.

Most of them were chosen to make a point. Shelley, an upcoming milestone, was named for the author of Ozymandias, a parable of the futility of power.

“Shelley is a reminder that everything you build has an impermanence about it,” he explains. “That’s the point of the financial system… No matter who’s in control or who has the power today, at some point in the future that’s all going to be ruins in the dust.”

Incidentally, Percy Shelley’s literary stature has since been eclipsed by that of his wife, who has yet to be beatified in the Cardano Canon. That’s probably for the best; we can count ourselves lucky that the cryptocurrency was not named Frankenstein.

“What are you, Stanley Kubrick?”

However, Hoskinson did not fall into the same trap when it came to graphics. IOHK’s circuit-winged butterfly is a real pleasure, both to draw and to look at, and the project’s other logos show similar attention to detail.

“My design director hates me,” Hoskinson admits. “We did over 240 iterations of one logo, again and again and again”— Hoskinson rapped the table emphatically. “He was so miserable, he said what are you, Stanley Kubrick?”

But, Hoskinson, said, he insisted on getting the designs right. “If we don’t get this right, someone’s going to tattoo it on their ass and we’re going to own that for the rest of our lives,” Hoskinson told his designer.  “Guess what? It happened! And we were very glad that we did 240 iterations and didn’t permanently scar anyone’s skins.”

For Hoskinson, this is a sign that Cardano is making headway when it comes to community growth. “You know you’re doing something right when people tattoo your logo on their back.”

Asked which would be the worst logo to get as a tattoo, he mused: “Certainly EOS. Or BitConnect.”

Source

Altcoins Talks - Cryptocurrency Forum

Why Is Cardano Full Of Weird Names?
« on: April 02, 2019, 07:00:13 AM »

For Monthly biddings Check Here

Offline alfatih99

• Activity: 441
  • authpaper.io
  • Last Active: July 28, 2019, 10:04:09 AM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 17
    10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary
Re: Why Is Cardano Full Of Weird Names?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 12:27:10 AM »
I think the strange name is very good for cardano and I don't mind the name, because I believe that cardano has its own better way.
                 ███       █████      ███ ███     ███   ███    ███ ▄█▄ ███  ▐███       ███▌ ████▄█▀ ██████████▄ █████▀   ████████████         ████   ████         ███████████         █████████▀         ████         ████         ▀▀▀▀▀ Authpaper Coin     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬         ▄███████████▄██████████████████        ███████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██       ██████████████████████████████░░██      ███████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██      ███████████████████████████████░░██       █████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██       ██████████████████████████████░░██        ██████████████░░░░░░░░░▄▀███████████████▀▄         ███████████████████████▄▀███████████▀▄██         ████████████░░░░░░░░░░████▄▀███████▀▄████       ███████████████████████████████▄▀███▀▄██████ █████████████████████████████░░████████▄▄▄████████ ███████████████████████████████░███████████████████ ███████████████████████████████░▀█████████████████▀ │ │ │ .BLOCKCHAIN BASED SYSTEM. .FOR DATA DELIVERY AND........ .CERTIFICATIONS......................██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ████ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ │ │ │ ..........WHITEPAPER..........
TWITTER MEDIUMGITHUB REDDITSLACK BTC TALK

Offline IyemRoker

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1982
  • Your Bitcoin Mixer
  • Last Active: February 20, 2024, 09:37:20 AM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 22
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 04:38:40 AM »
Without realizing it, Cardano has full support from various invetsors, such as Emurgo HK and Hacken.
Then I also saw Cardano so protected by Charles Hoskinson because he was so active in building the Cardano business.
             ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████▄█████████████████▄
  ▄███████████████████████████▄
 ████████████████▄▀▀███████████
▄███████████████████ ▀█████████
█████████████▀▀      ▐█████
████████████        ▄██████
▀███████████▌     ██████████▀
 █████
███████      ▀▀▀█████▀  █
  ███████████▄         ▀▀▀ ▄▄█
   ▀████████████▄▄▄   ▄▄▄███▀
     ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
         ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
UniJoin.io Bitcoin Mixer
.|
▄▄██████▄▄
▄██████▀██████▄
▄███▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀███▄
▄███░░░▄███▄░░░███▄
████░░████▀▄█░░████
████░░█▄▀▄███░░████
▀████░░▀███▀░░████▀
▀████▄░░░░░▄████▀
▀█████▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
NO LOGS
▄▄██████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▌░▄▄▄░▐████▄
▄█████░▀░░░█░█████▄
██████▌░░█▀░▐██████
███████▄░▄░▄███████
▀████▀░░░░░░░▀████▀
▀██▌░░░░░░░░░▐██▀
▀██▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄██▀
▀▀█████▀▀
NO SIGN-UP
|████████████████████████
█████████████▀▄▀████████
████████████▀▄█████████
██████████▀▌▄██████████
██████████▌███████████
█████████▀▄███▀█████████
██████▀▄▄██████▀███████
█████▀▄█▀▄████████████
██████▀▄█▌▐████▐█████
█████▌▐█▀▌▐█████▐█████
██████████████▄██████
███████▄▄██████▄████████
████████████████████████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
MIX ՈOW.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████

Offline mimikri

• Activity: 763
  • 🔰 FERRUM NETWORK 🔰
  • Referrals: 1
  • Last Active: November 22, 2021, 05:08:19 AM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 18
    10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 05:33:01 PM »
Without realizing it, Cardano has full support from various invetsors, such as Emurgo HK and Hacken.
Then I also saw Cardano so protected by Charles Hoskinson because he was so active in building the Cardano business.

Curious, why do people think about these weird names? probably, their names sound to other people too strange, too. There is nothing odd in reality there.
Ferrum Network •   ANN • Bounty • Website • Telegram
The First High-Speed Interoperability Network for Real-World Financial Applications

ETH & ERC20 Tokens Donations: 0x2143F7146F0AadC0F9d85ea98F23273Da0e002Ab
BNB & BEP20 Tokens Donations: 0xcbDAB774B5659cB905d4db5487F9e2057b96147F
BTC Donations: bc1qjf99wr3dz9jn9fr43q28x0r50zeyxewcq8swng
BTC Tips for Moderators: 1Pz1S3d4Aiq7QE4m3MmuoUPEvKaAYbZRoG