follow us on twitter . like us on facebook . follow us on instagram . subscribe to our youtube channel . announcements on telegram channel . ask urgent question ONLY . Subscribe to our reddit . Altcoins Talks Shop Shop

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here

Author Topic: Does the selling of bitcoin-backed shares have an effect on BTC's price?  (Read 160 times)

Online pawel7777

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1565
  • Coinomize.biz
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
  • Last Active: Today at 06:54:34 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 17
    Badges: (View All)
    Karma Bad Quick Poster Poll Voter
On the back of another topic which I started earlier today related to Michael Saylor selling his 400k shares in Microstrategy, a question came to mind:

Does the selling of bitcoin-backed shares directly affect bitcoin's price at all?

As a thought experiment, instead of Microstrategy, we could take a hypothetical small (but listed) company that has minimal operations but buys tonnes of bitcoins, to the point that the value of its shares is almost entirely backed by bitcoins and their market price is 100% correlated with bitcoin price.

What happens when a shareholder decides to dump a large amount of such shares on the market? Would that be equivalent to dumping bitcoins? After all, it's just a change in the company's ownership and bitcoins held by the company remain untouched.

both topics are cross-posted with bitcointalk

Altcoins Talks - Cryptocurrency Forum

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here Ads bidding Bidding Open

Offline TomPluz

• Legendary
  • Activity: 4166
  • Bitcoin Mixer| Since 2019
  • Last Active: Today at 02:37:12 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 23
    50 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
What happens when a shareholder decides to dump a large amount of such shares on the market? Would that be equivalent to dumping bitcoins? After all, it's just a change in the company's ownership and bitcoins held by the company remain untouched.

This is a good question and since we are now seeing this thing happening in the market right now, maybe discussing this to further illuminate on the subject can be worth it. As for me, the situation you mentioned above will not have a direct effect on the price of Bitcoin as it is the shares of that company that got sold and is not really the Bitcoin being held by the company in question. Now, will there be a kind of ripple effect on the market that can sway Bitcoin somehow? I think it got something to do with confidence on Bitcoin. Like why would you sell shares of that company if you think that Bitcoin will continue on soaring? This will come into focus with big companies because a move like selling shares will come on the news much more so if there is some connection to Bitcoin.

Online pawel7777

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1565
  • Coinomize.biz
  • Last Active: Today at 06:54:34 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 17
    Karma Bad Quick Poster Poll Voter
(...) As for me, the situation you mentioned above will not have a direct effect on the price of Bitcoin as it is the shares of that company that got sold and is not really the Bitcoin being held by the company in question. (...)

Just to clarify, I only meant pure supply/demand market mechanisms, not the psychological effect (such as losing confidence etc).

Let's try to break it down:
So what would happen if such dump caused the price of shares to go below the price of bitcoin (ie. they would be traded below company's market value)? If the arbitrage could be applied, i.e. new shareholders could force the company to sell bitcoins - then all is clear. But if new shareholders could not make the decision to sell, then the only impact on BTC price would be that some potential BTC buyers would choose to buy cheaper company shares instead (so reducing demand for BTC and causing the price to drop).

I can't think of any other factors.

Offline pacar_tiri

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1991
  • Bitcoin Mixer| Since 2019
  • Last Active: May 02, 2024, 06:23:17 AM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 22
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Topic Starter
(...) As for me, the situation you mentioned above will not have a direct effect on the price of Bitcoin as it is the shares of that company that got sold and is not really the Bitcoin being held by the company in question. (...)

Just to clarify, I only meant pure supply/demand market mechanisms, not the psychological effect (such as losing confidence etc).

Let's try to break it down:
So what would happen if such dump caused the price of shares to go below the price of bitcoin (ie. they would be traded below company's market value)? If the arbitrage could be applied, i.e. new shareholders could force the company to sell bitcoins - then all is clear. But if new shareholders could not make the decision to sell, then the only impact on BTC price would be that some potential BTC buyers would choose to buy cheaper company shares instead (so reducing demand for BTC and causing the price to drop).

I can't think of any other factors.
Arbitrage seems to be very difficult to do because currently you have to look at transaction costs which are quite expensive which will make many traders who use the arbitrage method consider sending assets using bitcoin. If you buy shares in a cheaper company, it seems like only a few people will choose that because the profits they get are less than investing in bitcoin.

ETH & ERC20 Tokens Donations: 0x2143F7146F0AadC0F9d85ea98F23273Da0e002Ab
BNB & BEP20 Tokens Donations: 0xcbDAB774B5659cB905d4db5487F9e2057b96147F
BTC Donations: bc1qjf99wr3dz9jn9fr43q28x0r50zeyxewcq8swng
BTC Tips for Moderators: 1Pz1S3d4Aiq7QE4m3MmuoUPEvKaAYbZRoG