follow us on twitter . like us on facebook . follow us on instagram . subscribe to our youtube channel . announcements on telegram channel . ask urgent question ONLY . Subscribe to our reddit . Altcoins Talks Shop Shop

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here

Author Topic: The NFT Craze Is Helping Nigerian Artists Go Global  (Read 757 times)

Offline Micky

• Activity: 398
  • Qidex Exchange
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
  • Last Active: March 27, 2023, 04:19:20 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 18
    Badges: (View All)
    Third year Anniversary Poll Voter 10 Posts
The NFT Craze Is Helping Nigerian Artists Go Global
« on: April 13, 2021, 06:28:47 PM »
In March, Oyindamola Oyekemi Oyewumi, a 24-year-old Nigerian artist who creates portraits using ballpoint pens, tweeted her drawing of Ethereum co-founder Charles Hoskinson.

Hoskinson noticed the tweet and put it up for sale as a non-fungible token (NFT), or one-of-a-kind digital item with its own digital signature. By the end of the month, the tweet sold for $6,300 and now it’s Hoskinson’s Twitter profile picture.

“Luckily for me, Hoskinson himself told me about NFTs. He gave me a link to read about NFTs and, after reading about it, I decided I want to try it out,” Oyewumi told CoinDesk. Last week Oyewumi sold the first NFT she minted by herself on Mintable, and a friend helped her convert her crypto earnings to the local naira currency. 

NFTs are all the rage this year, especially after the artist Beeple sold a digital art collage for $69.3 million through the British auction house Christie’s in March. Christie’s also announced Thursday it will be selling nine NFT collectibles known as CryptoPunks. This month, American-Senegalese R&B singer Akon launched AkoinNFT, an NFT platform to “supercharge and empower” artists and brands. 

Now the trend has spread to Nigeria, where local financial institutions are banned from servicing crypto firms. This means Nigerians cannot convert digital assets to naira through traditional crypto exchanges. But that hasn’t wiped out crypto in Africa’s largest economy, thanks in part to its young and tech-savvy population. Users began switching to peer-to-peer platforms to avoid using banks and the use of crypto continues, as evidenced by how local artists like Oyewumi are embracing NFTs.

Although more Nigerian artists are entering the NFT space, they do so wary of the hype. Some Nigerian artists told CoinDesk that although minting their artwork comes with a number of advantages, they have concerns about the impact of NFTs on the art world in general.

Only good for already-established artists
Oyewumi feels the NFT culture is only beneficial to those artists who already have a large fanbase.

“If I put my art up as NFTs, sure, lots of people will see it. But some people will still prefer to purchase work from artists they already know. People might end up just creating pieces and uploading but not be able to sell anything,” Oyewumi said.

For instance, NFT art collector Michael Ugwu typically likes to check out an artist’s online presence and work before purchasing his or her art. A London-based music executive and entrepreneur of Nigerian descent, Ugwu owns around 40 NFT pieces by artists from around the world, including Nigeria. Ugwu told CoinDesk he only buys art he loves, but there is also a business perspective to consider.

Read more: These Black Artists Say NFTs Help Them Monetize Their Work
“I also want to know that there’s going to be a global marketplace for that piece, if I want to sell it on the secondary market. It’s much easier to sell a Fewocious, a Billelis or if you get lucky and get your hands on a Beeple. So based on those factors, from African artists I primarily acquire work that I feel has a global audience,” Ugwu said.

He added that for some African artists, minting their first pieces could be a challenge due to the Ethereum gas fees sometimes needed to sell an NFT.

https://cryptonews.net/538030/?utm_source=CryptoNews&utm_medium=app&utm_campaign=shared
      ▄▄▄▄▄           ███                ███
  ▄████▀▀▀████▄       ▀▀▀                ███
██▀         ▀██                  ▄▄▄    ███          ▄▄▄
███           ███     ███     ▄█████████▄███      ▄█████████▄     ▀███      ███▀
██             ██     ███    ███▀      ▀████     ███▀      ███▄     ███   ▄███
██             ██     ███   ▐██▌        ▐███    ███         ███      ▀██▄▄██▀
██             ██     ███   ███          ███    ███████████████▌      ▀████
██▄           ▄██     ███   ███         ▐███    ███                   ██████
▀██           ██▀     ███   ▐███        ████    ▀██▄        ▄▄      ▄███  ███
▀███▄     ▄███▀      ███    ▐███▄▄  ▄▄█████     ▀███▄▄  ▄▄███▀    ▄██▀    ▀██▄
    ▀▀██████▀         ███      ▀▀█████▀  ███       ▀▀██████▀▀     ███       ▀███
         ██▄▄▄▄▄▄
          ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Decentralized Exchange
& Token Launcher
Liquidity Pools
Stake
Swapping/Trading
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██▄▄
▀▀▀▀
.TRADE NOW.
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄██
▀▀▀▀

Altcoins Talks - Cryptocurrency Forum

« on: April 13, 2021, 06:28:47 PM »

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here

ETH & ERC20 Tokens Donations: 0x2143F7146F0AadC0F9d85ea98F23273Da0e002Ab
BNB & BEP20 Tokens Donations: 0xcbDAB774B5659cB905d4db5487F9e2057b96147F
BTC Donations: bc1qjf99wr3dz9jn9fr43q28x0r50zeyxewcq8swng
BTC Tips for Moderators: 1Pz1S3d4Aiq7QE4m3MmuoUPEvKaAYbZRoG