follow us on twitter . like us on facebook . follow us on instagram . subscribe to our youtube channel . announcements on telegram channel . ask urgent question ONLY . Subscribe to our reddit . Altcoins Talks Shop Shop

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here

Author Topic: A first Bitcoin block explorer. How does it look like?  (Read 213 times)

Offline tranthidung

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1482
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
  • Last Active: May 20, 2024, 04:40:48 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 13
    Badges: (View All)
    Karma Good Quick Poster Karma
A first Bitcoin block explorer. How does it look like?
« on: January 21, 2024, 09:06:52 AM »
In reality, you can check your Bitcoin balance and transaction history directly with your own wallets, nodes and even don't need any Bitcoin block explorer to do it.

Bitcoin block explorers practically provide a lot of convenience for us. Obviously we have to be careful when using block explorers because they are centralized hosted and our privacy can be leaked. Use them with Tor connection if you do care about your privacy.

Let's return to this topic.

What is the first Bitcoin block explorer in history?
It is built by theymos. Are you surprised?  :D

Bitcoin Block Explorer
It used to be hosted at http://theymos.ath.cx:64150/bbe/
It was live on November 10, 2010.

At some points of time, it was mirror hosted at https://109.123.116.245/
Need mirror for blockexplorer.com

How does the first Bitcoin block explorer look like?
See its archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20101113061427/http://theymos.ath.cx:64150/bbe/

I use it to explore the Bitcoin Genesis block and get a result as follows.

You want to have block explorers today?

Other hidden facts you did not know, I guess so, because I did not add it in OP.

[1] https://web.archive.org/web/20120308072440/http://blockexplorer.com/

Some screenshots for above information.

Blockchain.info possibly a second Bitcoin block explorer in history.

It was run by piuk. Blockchain.info - Bitcoin Block explorer & Currency Statistics (announced in August 2011).

Note:
  • It was posted first in that topic, on Bitcointalk
  • I leave the source link to avoid plagiarism accusation.
  • I excluded/ included minor things from an original thread if necessary.

Altcoins Talks - Cryptocurrency Forum

A first Bitcoin block explorer. How does it look like?
« on: January 21, 2024, 09:06:52 AM »

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here

Offline Charles-Tim

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1602
  • Last Active: May 19, 2024, 03:32:06 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 15
    Poll Voter Karma Bad Karma Good
Re: A first Bitcoin block explorer. How does it look like?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 05:27:01 PM »
In reality, you can check your Bitcoin balance and transaction history directly with your own wallets, nodes and
even don't need any Bitcoin block explorer to do it.
This is true. But there are a lot of things that you can check on explorers that you can not use SPV wallet to check, except that you are running your own node. Although, some wallets are getting better and making more information more available, but they still lack some information.

Bitcoin block explorers practically provide a lot of convenience for us. Obviously we have to be careful when using block explorers because they are centralized hosted and our privacy can be leaked. Use them with Tor connection if you do care about your privacy.
You are right. But it is also worth knowing that SPV wallets are using central servers and these servers are also owned by third parties. Also it is good to use Tor with SPV wallets, for your wallet balance, bitcoin addresses and IP address not to leak.

Offline CryptoLaila

• Activity: 160
  • Last Active: Today at 12:37:51 AM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 11
    100 Posts Avatar 50 Posts
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 09:34:36 PM »

You are right. But it is also worth knowing that SPV wallets are using central servers and these servers are also owned by third parties. Also it is good to use Tor with SPV wallets, for your wallet balance, bitcoin addresses and IP address not to leak.
Thanks for this! but what of navigation  through mobile probably if I'm not on my  PC can I use  duckduckgo or is there Tor for phone

Offline tranthidung

• Legendary
  • Activity: 1482
  • Last Active: May 20, 2024, 04:40:48 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 13
    Karma Good Quick Poster Karma
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 03:42:42 AM »
Thanks for this! but what of navigation  through mobile probably if I'm not on my  PC can I use  duckduckgo or is there Tor for phone
You can use Tor browser for Android
It is for browser only.

If you need higher privacy, you can use Orbot.
Do I need both Tor Browser for Android and Orbot, or only one?
While both Tor Browser for Android and Orbot are great, they serve different purposes.
  • Tor Browser for Android is like the desktop Tor Browser, but on your mobile device. It is a one stop browser that uses the Tor network and tries to be as anonymous as possible.
  • Orbot on the other hand is a proxy that will enable you to send the data from your other applications (E-Mail clients, instant messaging apps, etc.) through the Tor network
A version of Orbot is also inside of Tor Browser for Android, and is what enables it to connect to the Tor network. That version, however, does not enable you to send other apps outside of Tor Browser for Android through it. Depending on how you want to use the Tor network, either one or both of these could be a great option.

ETH & ERC20 Tokens Donations: 0x2143F7146F0AadC0F9d85ea98F23273Da0e002Ab
BNB & BEP20 Tokens Donations: 0xcbDAB774B5659cB905d4db5487F9e2057b96147F
BTC Donations: bc1qjf99wr3dz9jn9fr43q28x0r50zeyxewcq8swng
BTC Tips for Moderators: 1Pz1S3d4Aiq7QE4m3MmuoUPEvKaAYbZRoG