follow us on twitter . like us on facebook . follow us on instagram . subscribe to our youtube channel . announcements on telegram channel . ask urgent question ONLY . Subscribe to our reddit . Altcoins Talks Shop Shop

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here

Author Topic: Using getrawmempool to estimate fees  (Read 555 times)

Offline taera249

• Activity: 70
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
  • Last Active: March 23, 2018, 05:40:40 PM
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 11
    Badges: (View All)
    Topic Starter 50 Posts 10 Posts
Using getrawmempool to estimate fees
« on: January 25, 2018, 12:10:03 PM »
Currently I run a program to estimate the lowest fee rate likely to get into the next block. It connects to my local Bitcoin core bode via RPC and runs getrawmempool. It sorts the transactions by fee rate, then takes off the top 1 MB worth of transactions. The fee rate of the last transaction to get in is, in my mind at least a good estimate of the required fee to get into the next block.

I am aware that this is a fairly naive approach, and I would like to improve it. Currently, it does not account for the SegWit discount and will incorrectly decide how many transactions will fit in the block. Also, I am not sure if looking at the mempool is the best option, maybe a rolling average of the lowest fee included in the past 3 blocks would be better for instance.

If these kinds of fee estimation questions have been asked before, feel free to link me but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for.

tl;dr How can I improve my simple fee estimation to be smarter?

When you look at latest blocks, you should check low-fee transactions for CPFP - they might be included in a block because their children compensated for low fee. Also, mining pools might include in blocks withdrawals of their members with lower fees, or they might include low fee transactions because they were paid through some other channels. So, you probably shouldn't expect that the lowest fee included in a recent block is safe enough to also get included in next few blocks - I'd raise that value by 10-20% to get some safer estimation.

Altcoins Talks - Cryptocurrency Forum

Using getrawmempool to estimate fees
« on: January 25, 2018, 12:10:03 PM »

This is an Ad. Advertised sites are not endorsement by our Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise Here

ETH & ERC20 Tokens Donations: 0x2143F7146F0AadC0F9d85ea98F23273Da0e002Ab
BNB & BEP20 Tokens Donations: 0xcbDAB774B5659cB905d4db5487F9e2057b96147F
BTC Donations: bc1qjf99wr3dz9jn9fr43q28x0r50zeyxewcq8swng
BTC Tips for Moderators: 1Pz1S3d4Aiq7QE4m3MmuoUPEvKaAYbZRoG